Friday, July 17, 2009

4th of July in England (or Unapologetic Flag Waving while your Former Rulers Politely Observe)

Haven't posted in some time, but thought I would show you the highlights from our July. As the title suggests, we were invited to join some American friends from church on the Air Force base for the 4th of July. It was a lot like the 4th of July in America -- cotton candy, rickety fair rides that made Ulysses almost throw-up and nearly gave him a concussion, insanely expensive soda, drunken revelry and a lot of standing up (because people are proud to be Americans) -- the only twist was the thousands of English from neighboring villagers who good naturedly observe and take part in our nationalism. Good times were had by all.



The Tops in Blue an Air Force perfoming group that put on a nearly two hour show before the fireworks. Like the BYU Ambassadors, only more sequins.

At one point during the show, (possibly during the time that the men, dressed in black sequined blazers came out into the audience to serenade a few lucky ladys during a Boyz II Men number) Ulysses leaned over to me and said, "Mum, is this what America is like?"
And, all I could say was, "Yes. Sometimes this is exactly how it is."


Ulysses loved it all. He loved the Tops in Blue and he loved the fireworks.


And Thorunn loved the cotton candy. :)



4 comments:

Torben B said...

This is a truly hilarious post :) Thank you! I've been to these before in Thailand :) Oh, quirky American goodness.

Grant said...

Yes, Ullysses, that is America.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that you haven't really loved "MERICA" until you observe it during Frontier Days in Cheyenne Wyoming. Yes Ulysses, this is America, yes this is a parade, yes indeed, those were 12 feet tall jeans, yes those are Shriners, I don't know why they ride tiny motorcycles and wear those hats, but they do help sick kids... Yes those are princesses and yes instead of crowns they wear sparkly cowboy hats...

Anonymous said...

Although I may try to be jaded about all this tradition and Yipee ti yo, I have to say that living in a town that has an airforce base, I found myself standing, and blinking back tears as the entire crowd stood every time they saw a flag or men in uniform, wives, mothers, children all knew, knew that in their world this war is not a debate, or a political puzzle it is their life. I looked at the seniors, tears running down their faces, sporting tiny flag lapel pins and remembering.