Friday, August 22, 2008

Containers


I recently drove to Utah to attend Marissa's graduation. The drive from Wyoming to Utah is at times a bit well, empty but because of this... vastness I got a chance to notice cars, trucks, semi's and the like. It is my habit to write little scenarios as I view people or to speak to them outloud as I whiz by. I began to see that lots of people carry things that are important to them in their vehicles. For example; I noticed one small sub-compact stuffed full of plants, really healthy looking house plants. "Good job with your plants" , I thought. I noticed people who had all of their hobbies in and on their car; bikes, skis, life vests and camping gear. I saw people who had so much contained in their cars that they had to hang out their heads and feet to fit in. Some people despite the gas crisis were driving motorhomes and towing cars,these people can't leave home without their home. I started reading all the signs on semi's and the one that caught my eye was "Old English" enjoy the quality and deliver it" I thought to myself, "Do you have to like english muffins to drive for this company?" If not, I still appreciate this because I really like english muffins, which look like crumpets but taste nothing like them. I kept speeding down the road, I saw barren looking desert patches where trailors sat like abandoned pop cans. What did they contain? Where people who work in this environment empty too or do they fill their little canned home with lots of homey things? When I got back to Cheyenne I walked through my garage to get in to our new townhouse a small container. Our gargage contains the rest of the stuff we couldn't leave behind and hides within it's boxes my new lime green bra I go in London and really need to find. I am really regretting not packing up in all clear plastic containers.

No comments: