Monday, August 11, 2008

In Praise of Drama and other artly endeavors


Today is Erik's birthday. In honor of him, I played his mix CD of fine MED, Broadcasting and Commercial successes. I can't explain it , but I felt tied to this effort, by it's importance, it's vital contribution to all that is Bernhard. I sang along as Kurt sang "If you find the one,don't let her go, if you love her, then you better tell her so, cause life goes fast.." Beautiful. I went to Walmart to buy medicine so that I could go to rehearsal for "Oliver!" . To teach the songs, work with the singers and be near really good singing and our new home, the community theater. As I sat in the Wendy's parking lot, drinking some faux Tussin, eating from the .99 menu and looking through a hair magazine to choose my next bob variation, I listened to my talented sons music and I wanted to roll down the windows, crank it up and tell people who innocently thought they were there for frosties ,"My kids are talented..see..? " It all started many generations ago, Walkers, Morgans, Baileys,Mortensons, Bernhards ,drawn like a moth to a flame:art. Blessed with talent and know how and vision.


So, whether it is the Bernhard "boys" singing for Jonathon and Amanda, or Erik eagerly spitting a rhyme across the miles to his brother or Matt using his MFA to live a dream job; we all carry on the tradition. Knowing this, it did not surprise me when Heidi told me that Ulysses was disappointed because a mix-up happened and he didn't get to be in the drama class this week at summer camp.

No comments: