
Although I know I am insanely fond of my grandchildren which makes me the least objective person in the world about them, I don't care.
Today I talked to Ulysses on the phone. He is an amazing conversationalist. Not for a six year old person but by any standard. He listens, asks questions, shares his feelings without reserve and is 100% present during the entire conversation, every time. It is amazing. I can't think of anyone else I know, including myself who even compares. I miss him. I really appreciate his friendship. I feel luckyto know someone who understands friendship so well.As we talked Ulyssses told me he was worried that I didn't have enough money to come see him. He told me he was happy about my job and thought I would be good at it. He told me when he misses me he dreams about me and can feel me in his room. (SIGH) He wanted to plan fun things like making treasure maps for each other when I come. He wants me to work hard, earn money and come visit as soon as I can.
I have thought about this conversation all day. I wondered how long I will be this close to my special first grandchild. I wonder if when he is 15 he will want to be my friend still. I know Nana was Erik's good friend for a long time. Maybe that will happen to me, if I can do it right. I thought about distance, about people living so far away, how sad and hard it is sometimes.
I have thought about this conversation all day. I wondered how long I will be this close to my special first grandchild. I wonder if when he is 15 he will want to be my friend still. I know Nana was Erik's good friend for a long time. Maybe that will happen to me, if I can do it right. I thought about distance, about people living so far away, how sad and hard it is sometimes.
I remembered what I told my new 6 year old friend Kelsey when she told me she hated divorces and the fact that her Daddy lives so far away. I said," When you love someone, a string is tied from your heart to the person you love." "The string is stretchy." "No matter how far it is stretched or how long it is stretched it will never, never , never break." This seemed to satisfy her. I am going to take my own advice. No matter the distance, our hearts are bound together.
1 comment:
I just read your post to Ulysses and he would like to reply:
'Nae Nae is really nice about me and she really cares about me. That is when she sends stuff to me. I try to make her happy and make her feel I love her. Ulysses said he can feel his stretchy string.
And Bronwyn said Nae Nae loves me and she knits me lots of dolls.
And Heidi says: It is hard to be far away! But you can be in the same room with some people and not feel as close as we do. The bond you have with Ulysses proves that. And teenagers usually hate their parents, not their grandparents. So, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)
Post a Comment