Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wrestling With God: A Three-Way Conversation on Mormonism


Wrestling With God: A Three-Way Conversation on Mormonism from Torben Bernhard on Vimeo.

8 comments:

Mrs. Walker said...

This video is reminiscent of all those heart-to-heart talks you have with your buddies in college about "The Meaning of Life." I really enjoyed watching it.

-Melisa

Hbernbubb said...

I am so glad to finally get a chance to see this! I thought your actors were very natural -- not quite Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy -- but good. I also thought you did a good job representing and respecting different viewpoints, suggesting common experience and sentiment within the church without resorting to cliche. Overall, very well done. I am proud of you guys!
Love,
Heidi

Janae said...

I really liked this. I thought the dialuge was fresh and natural. I liked your actors, natural and giving. Nice slice of life feel to all of it.

Idea: I would have directed the actors differenrly. A director can trust that their script can hold up if actors move. In this case not out of their spots but within it. For example the girl could have pulled her knees up, had her head in her hand, leaning in, leaning out, natural movement through improv not blocked. An actor doesn't need to only move when speaking, it will not draw focus.

Oh yeah, I loved the personal story portion, not too over the top or preachy. Nice.

Well done!! I see great things in the future for you guys.

I think dialogue created through improv and documentation is a great way to stay away from speech giving.

I am so proud of both of you. Well done you.

Torben B said...

Thanks for all of the compliments and suggestions! The film has really seemed to resonate with people. And with all the helpful suggestions we've received, they'll continue to get better and better. These actors were pretty awesome. They memorized the whole script in TWO DAYS! :) We also filmed in only two sessions (two nights) and ended up only using coverage from one camera. What an experience! We decided to direct more like in theater and do a fair amount of rehearsing before filming. Thanks so much for the support!

Torben B said...

i'm especially thankful for suggestions on directing actors (which, was pretty much me and ris' job). Andrew was in charge of camera. It was a really good experience directing actors --- perhaps, my favorite thing about directing narrative films (although i'd love to have access to Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke, we got some pretty great actors considering). I'm glad i have professionals in the family that can help train my eye more completely for future projects. Nonetheless, i'm sure happy i grew up going to theater performances :)

Janae said...

Kurt and Ris,
Since you are interested in directing idea (theater frame of reference) I will share some things from Randy the all knowing that I have used and really been happy with.

Picturization- another word for composition. Where things go,you use this in painting, sculpting, drawing and dance and theater. Goal; to fill all planes or spaces. Or to have negative space, visually it is like a long pause. Sometimes this happens when an actor exits.

Body position: Every actor has their mini stage in a scene. They can stand, crouch, lie on their stomach,pull knees to chest ect.
This fills different planes. No two actors should occupy the same plane,ie. Sitting together on a bench one actor could lean forward, one actor could stand behind the bench. See? It is cool to see how interesting to the eye this is. The choices are endless.

Lastly, personal props and personal business. Personal props tell us about the person without words ie. pocket protector and pens
knitting needles :) or a piece of string, fuzz off the carpet. Personal business is the things people do (mannerisms) Take me. I might have a personal prop of knitting needels and I might knit, but also I put my hair behind my ears, adjust jewelry like a necklace, cover myself with a blanket and then get hot and take it off, constantly eat hard candy, stacking the wrappers. See how without a word, the audience would know more about me?

It is fun. Acting and directing are so your area. It is interesing to people who love to people watch and notice little stories when we watch people.

Hope this helps a little.

Would love to "discuss among yourselves." Call when you have the time.

Torben B said...

that's right...

Janae said...

Ah egos