Friday, January 11, 2008

listen to my radio appearance

I have been talking to Kurt a lot lately about documenting life and creating living legacies. I am sure that none of us think that we do, think or go any place interesting enough to nail down, but today I had an experience that changed my thinking. I was shopping at Buy for Less and I saw an adorable couple both in their eighties. They were carefully selecting a few things to put in their basket, calculating and comparing prices on things I toss in without even knowing the price of it. They were both bent and tiny and almost so close together they seemed like one person. I watched them and thought ,"Ah... it must be hard to live so long that your money is about gone." Then, I chastised myself and thought "At least they are still together, can walk around and shop." I finished buying a bunch of stuff we needed and a bunch of stuff we don't need and as I was pushing my cart to the car I saw something really great. The old man of the couple was sitting in the car waiting for his wife with three little white poodles all sticking their heads out the window and enjoying the sunshine. He was whistling and smiling and had his arm around all three white curly mops and I thought to myself, "Now that's his story, not the story I imagined in the store." And so, it is in the spirit of such everyday cycles I am challenging all of you to write down journal entries for your life story here on the blog.

LISTEN TO THIS!!!
I participate in a story telling/ stand up event called "Story Slam." One of the times I competed they came and recorded it and you can listen to my story here (courtesy of www.kgou.org):







2 comments:

Torben B said...

Great story! And hilarious! I really enjoy storytelling format. I think about it ALL of the time. I've really been trying to improve my storytelling skills whenever I can. I still have a ways to go. Mom is great at telling stories --- she has a way of breathing new life into stories (and the amazing ability to place her self in hilarious situations). Way to go mom! Keep archiving!

Hbernbubb said...

I am so glad you posted this here and I finally got to hear it. Really funny and really natural pace. You have a gift.