I've been trying to get mom to check out this show (both the showtime version and the radio version) for a few months, so I figured I'd write a convenient post with all of the necessary links to the show as another tactic. In many ways, this post is a response to her previous post on storytelling and archiving. I've been obsessed with This American Life for sometime now, possibly a year or so. The show has a simple premise: each week they choose a theme and present a series of stories related to it. The show is hosted by Ira Glass, a celebrity among avid radio listeners. Scott Carrier, a regular contributor to the show, is currently my teacher for a long-format video journalism class. He is also one of our main advisors for the Alex Caldiero documentary. He has a lot to teach and we've been listening attentively as he's began teaching us how to apply a story arch to 'real life' situations. I think Mom understands this. We live in a narrative, but when presenting real life events to an audience, it's necessary that we provide that narrative (which, I think is usually presented by the mind of the individual). Otherwise, oddly, it seems 'unreal'. Anyways, here are some links below. I think you'll really dig this show.Click HERE for the This American Life radio website. Click on FULL EPISODE (to the left) to listen for free.
Click HERE for the This American Life Showtime TV website.
Click HERE for Scott Carrier episodes on This American Life
Click HERE for other radio journalism by Scott Carrier
4 comments:
I will admit it, you were right, I love this show. I will pay my money to listen to it. Really fun, really smart, and compelling too. Thanks for the tip Kurt!!
I LOVE This American Life! Oh, how I miss listening to it. I didn't realize you could get entire episodes on the internet. Yay!
Torben likes to forget that I introduced him to This American Life. Thanks to Google automatically archiving all our chat session, I can pinpoint May 25, 2007 as the day he first listened to the dulcet musings of our friend Ira.
Now, like then, I'm listening to the whole back catalog in order (making occasional exceptions for new episodes) during my daily commute.
I'm on show 90+ of ~350. I'm now into shows from 1998. :)
Haha... damn Google... :)
Post a Comment