Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ma and Pa's Cafe

Marissa and I enjoy small cafes. We have one, in particular, that we go to nearly every week in Pleasant Grove called Ma and Pa's Cafe (Ryan usually joins us too). I'm not sure what it is about this place. Maybe it's the five-six dollar meals. Maybe it's the fact that it's family owned and operated. There's something wonderfully classic about the restaurant. I have a dream of touring America and stopping by small time cafes along the way.

Perhaps I long for the old America depicted in film --- the America that my generation has hardly experienced. We've grown up with mega chains and homogenized taste. There is something comforting about someone recognizing you when you come in. There is also something calming about old Utah men with trucker hats, sipping down coffee and relating the events of the day. I've been trying to get into photography recently. Here's a photo Marissa and I took and edited at the cafe of two older gentlemen working on an old jukebox:

1 comment:

Janae said...

This makes me think of Louisiana. So many of the gas stations out in the country are cafes too. So, amid the fish bait, pampers and motor oil you could find the absolute best tamales, boudin, pastries and cat fish. People would just wander in to talk, eat, or shop and while there reconnect, something we are missing in this cyber age, a sense of place.