Thursday, November 01, 2007

Trunk or Treat -- How the Mormons saved Halloween

Pumpkin Head

For those of you who don't know -- Ulysses is a Cyberman, villains from Doctor Who (British Sci-Fi show much beloved by Ulysses) that take over human bodies and make them into human-robots. Bronwyn is a "pink witch."


Pumpkins, baby.

Before the Party.


Joshua and Ulysses, BFF.

Admittedly, I have been complaining about Mormon culture a lot lately. But I am happy to report that unlike our Christian brothers and sisters with their Harvest Festivals, the Mormons still like a good Halloween party. We had ours on Tuesday and it saved Halloween for my kids.

Halloween is new to England, brought here by the force of American commerce. My friend Julia,
speaking for many English people, said she didn't understand it and found it "appalling" to take her kids around to beg for candy. Because of similar sentiments, trick or treating is a bit dicey. So thank you to the Mormons with their pumpkin bowling, decorated trunks, and cake walk. And most of all candy -- junky, delicous American candy.

On Wednesday, I took Bronwyn, Ulysses, and his friend Joshua trick or treating in our neighborhood. I would say every third or fourth house was participating and having fun. Although, they don't quite understand the gluttony. After about ten houses, Joshua started saying, "Look how full my bag is getting, I have loads of candy! We'd better stop."

1 comment:

Janae said...

Ulysses told me today that Josh is his friend because "he loves me." Well said. He also told me the cool things they do and said,"We are clever boys." Indeed. I talked to Bronwyn today and she was drawing things and asking me what I thought of them over the phone. I like her. The costumes are great. Even if, as Ulysses told me, he gets a little sweaty in that cyber man helmet.