Taken from Wikipedia: The Musée d'Orsay is a museum on the left bank of the Seine, housed in the former railway station, the Gare d'Orsay, an impressive Beaux-Arts edifice built between 1898 and 1900. It holds mainly French art dating from 1848 to 1915, including paintings, sculptures, furniture, and photography, and is probably best known for its extensive collection of impressionist masterpieces by such painters such as Monet, Degas, Renoir, and Cezanne.
Beach Boys--I Get Around
18 years ago
2 comments:
I would love to go check out the Cezanne's here. Did they have any of his post-impressionist, pseudo cubist stuff? I went to a great exhibition a year ago at the U that traced impressionism into abstraction (i.e, expressionism, cubism, surrealism, etc). What a cool gallery! I've never been a huge impressionism fan, but I LOVE looking at it as a segue way into avant-garde art and general abstraction. You guys are so lucky!
They did have some of Cezanne's post-impressionist stuff. You know, I am totally with you on impressionism -- too many years of dentist office Monet water lilies --but I have to confess that I really liked it. I've always liked Manet quite a bit and the Van Goghs (a whole gallery) were amazing. But, I even liked some of the Monets. I still prefer Modern art, but it was a reminder of why these pieces were famous in the first place.
Post a Comment