Thursday, November 13, 2008

Proposition 8 in California

Below is a link to the names of all the individuals and businesses that donated money in support of the ban on gay marriage in California. Interesting collection of names and businesses...

http://antigayblacklist.com

Also, I found this very interesting...

Scott Eckern, Artistic Director for California Musical Theatre,
released the following statement regarding his resignation.
The statement is released as follows:

"I understand that my choice of supporting Proposition 8 has
been the cause of many hurt feelings, maybe even betrayal.
It was not my intent. I honestly had no idea that this would
be the reaction. I chose to act upon my belief that the
traditional definition of marriage should be preserved.
I support each individual to have rights and access and I
understood that in California domestic partnerships come with
the same rights that come with marriage. My sister is a lesbian
and in a committed domestic partnership relationship. I am
loving and supportive of her and her family, and she is loving
and supportive of me and my family. I definitely do not support
any message or treatment of others that is hateful or instills
fear. This is a highly emotional issue and the accusations that
have been made against me are simply not true. I have now had
many conversations with friends and colleagues, and I am deeply
saddened that my personal beliefs and convictions have offended
others. My choice to support the Proposition was personal, and
does not represent the views and opinions of California Musical
Theatre or the many people associated with the organization.
I was required by law to identify my employer and occupation
at the time of my donation.

I have enjoyed my association with all the many fine staff
members, artists and audiences over the years. I have strived
to stay true to our mission of producing quality live theatre
to enrich the cultural live of the community. In the course
of my work, I have encouraged a work environment that is safe
and creative, working together in an atmosphere of mutual
respect. I have focused on producing shows with fresh eyes to
allow the intent of the original creators to come through. I
have not imposed my beliefs onto any of the works, but have
sought to explore the truths found in the storytelling to
speak for themselves if they are told well. I have enjoyed
the opportunity to be alongside wonderful artists as we have
collaborated on sharing productions that will both enlighten
and entertain.

I chose to express my views through the democratic process,
and I am deeply sorry for any harm or injury I have caused
in doing so. I want to support not only my friends and loved
ones, but everyone in their efforts to receive equal rights
so I will be making a comparable donation ($1000) to the Human
Rights Campaign. I hope that through future conversations
bridges may be built and healing can occur that will allow
us to arrive at a better place of understanding for all
involved.

I am leaving California Musical Theatre after prayerful
consideration to protect the organization and to help the
healing in the localtheatre-going and creative community.
California Musical Theatre will continue to welcome with
open arms all staff, artists and audiences who collaborate
in the experience that live theatre does best - to lift the
human spirit. I will continue to be in the audience to cheer
on all the good work. It has been an honor to serve alongside
those I love and respect in this noble profession. I am
disappointed that my personal convictions have cost me
the opportunity to do what I love the most which is to
continue enriching the Sacramento arts and theatre
community."

Sincerely,

Scott Eckern

And finally, here are three responses to Mr. Eckern's letter:

Blogger fshepinc said...

It's all well and good for him to say he "didn't know" (gee, I wish I had so much money that I could send thousands of dollars to causes I don't know much about), and that he is being victimized for his religious beliefs. People said the same things in Nazi Germany. Those are the same, ignorant arguments used to justify slavery, genocide, and many other evils. Any religion that says you should take away basic human rights, and create second-class citizens, is a false religion. Any religion that creates a class of inferiors is a bad thing.

Mr. Eckern is not a victim of religious intolerance. He is reaping the intolerance he himself has sown. I hope he takes time to sincerely reexamine the "personal convictions" that led him to this point.

November 12, 2008 6:34 PM
Blogger Dick said...

Whether he was made to step down or chose to, I think it is the best thing for California Music Theatre. I would hate to see an organization that does respect, accept and employ gay artists be hurt by the selfish and thoughtless act of one administrator.

November 12, 2008 9:39 PM
Blogger tw4022a said...

It upsets me that people are willing to admit that they are fighting to defend a definition over equality. If this were simply a semantics issue it would be taken the MLA. Until any gay couple can request what any heterosexual couple can there is a segregation, and that's not okay.

Buy a dictionary that claims Marriage means wedlock between a man and a woman, but don't take that pedestrian understanding of Prop 8 to the bank to write out a check to its supporters.

November 13, 2008 1:24 PM

1 comment:

Hbernbubb said...

Dad, it's good to see you posting!

I read about this guy in the Times yesterday and I thought he was kind of a bizarro world Randy (Mormon director). I find it interesting that he seems genuinely shocked that people were upset. I find that kind of shock more common in people that have little or no (at least not that they know) interaction with anyone in the gay community.

A sister at enrichment was complaining the other night and saying she was shocked that people were protesting at the temple and other churches. How can they be surprised? This is the price of political involvement. However, I don't like to hear stories abou the faux-anthrax letters, vandalism or any violence. I don't like it on any side of the issue. As for Mr. Eckern, he should be allowed to vote his conscience. But he probably shouldn't have donated money. :)