From the Personal History of Augusta Mortensen...
"As we finished the [choir] rehearsal and were coming out through the choir door, suddenly coming down the flight of steps from the balcony, was a nice looking young man who through looking down at me, almost lost his footing and nearly fell down the steps. It struck me funny and I began to laugh. He turned to me and said, "Never mind, I may get even with you some day" and he certainly did, because this fine, handsome fellow later became my dear husband.
The choir was having an opening social, dinner, dance and program. Saturday night, following the choir practice...Sister Stewart suggested that I accompany my brother, Walter, to the dance, thinking I must have a little pleasure now.
So still being very faithful to my Laurn, I went with Walter to the Saturday night dance at the dear old auditorium. Now coming back to this same friend, Elra Johnson, she knew Lew Bailey, whom I had laughed at, the previous night and he asked her to introduce him to me.
We danced together three times, then he asked if I would attend the choir party with him. At first I answered no and told him I had a sweetheart whom I loved and wished to marry and didn't care to go out with any other fellow. But he argued that it couldn't hurt just to go to the party wit him.
Well, I was young, lonesome for my lover and tired of being without an escort, so I gave in and accepted the date. We had a wonderful time at the party. Lew was a good dancer, a perfect gentleman, and it was good to be with someone other than one of my brothers again.
Lew found an excuse to see me a second time, then a third and upon this third time, he declared his love for me, saying, "I am in love with you and I am going to take you away from that other fellow."
I only laughed at him and said, "Oh, no you're not because I am in love with Laurn Rice and no one can take me from him."
Lew would come and sit with me long hours watching over little Valoise. He would bring candy, flowers and other things to me and was so sweet and attentive that I could hardly help but grow fond of him through my gratitude and lonliness.
More to come...
Beach Boys--I Get Around
18 years ago
2 comments:
Once again, i love these. Can't wait for the next installment! :)
We should all chip in money to have someone transcribe all of her journals! Of course, the original document with handwriting is PRICELESS, but it would be nice to have a digital copy too! Or, we could pay someone to scan the journal and turn it into a .pdf.
Post a Comment