Tonight we went to our Ward to get a new calling. Life is funny, how pieces fall together, less random than you think. We were asked as a couple to become Family History Specialists. Now if you think like I do, very old people do this job. People you do not know or cannot recognize if you see them at Wally because in your head you believe they live in the Geneaology library. This cannot be me. I am too vital, hip and perculatin' to be called.
What I learned is that no one lives in the Genealogy library anymore. Everything is all on line now. Who knew? So what do we do? We are the cheerleaders for archiving in general.
Funny, Kurt and I did that for four hours this last Saturday. Marissa and Kurt are great resources for this movement. The desire to record, preserve and understand our family history. So, this new calling is cool. I hope we can give talks in Sac. to kick it all off. Kurt and Marissa are obviously on deck for this project. Any ideas from the rest of the bloggers? Pass them along.
Beach Boys--I Get Around
18 years ago
2 comments:
i think this is a really cool calling. A few suggestions that come to mind immediately:
1. In conjunction with the youth program, have the young people do audio or video interviews with the older people of the ward. You could take this in a million directions.
2. The church continues to encourage members to blog their testimonies, lives, etc. i could easily give you simple instructions to teach people how to setup blogs.
3. A cool site: geni.com
4. i think people need to consider things they can do in their daily lives to preserve memories. It doesn't always need to be formal. Other than the obvious journal keeping, what else can we do daily to protect stories and memories?
5. How do you link creativity to family history? That's when it becomes especially interesting to me.
6. On top of all of the usual ancestral genealogy, i'd encourage people in various ways to work on oral histories, journal writing, blog, video, etc. Encourage them to have a place where they keep all of these documents. Last night i watched a Caldiero family video that covered 1944-1968. What a document!
Thanks for GREAT ideas. It will be interesting to see this develop. I have really been interested in this topic and I know it is important!!
Post a Comment