
It has come to my attention lately that there are a lot of things I do not know. The things I do not know fall in to three categories; first, things I know nothing about like, atom splitting, second; things I have heard of, am interested in but still know nothing about like: Speaking spanish, playing the autoharp and losing weight. Third are the things I could have known,secretly may have known but have ignored, like not saying what you are thinking.
For category 1 and 2, I believe there is little hope. For category 3 however, I have learned that these things are being taught everyday, if you notice.
You have to notice that people have been placed in to your life to teach you these things. Older and Younger people who are wiser, and yep wiser than you are. People we do not know. Strangers with pieces of the puzzle. All we have to do is watch and learn.
I have been thinking about people who are older and wiser than I am. I wish they were alive still. I have learned a lot from them but I have questions!!
NANA
If you think of Nana you think of a person full of energy, good will and joy. She knew something we could all know. She was a giver. At some point in life, she realized that learning about, planning for and celebrating other people makes you happy. It also makes many people love you and want to be near you. How smart she was!! Nana felt happy because she was engaged with others, listening, understanding and building them up. During this stressful time, Dad and I have mentioned over and over how much we wished we could call her. Nana had a large circle of friends because she was a friend. She never missed an important date or anniversary in any ones life. I remember in her 70's and early 80's ,she was still bringing in food for sick and sad friends.
GANNY
Ganny seemed simple and yet, was she really? Ganny knew how to be loyal. Ganny didn't need to be the center of things. Ganny quietly led by example. Ganny had pressures but she had priorities. When my Mom went to work when I was a young toddler Ganny and GG stepped in to take care of me. When Ganny was called to be R.S. president she declined. She couldn't do it, she was taking care of Janae'! Wow. We have all laughed about Ganny and her gift tables. If you really look at it, the bigger picture shows a woman who knew how to be careful and plan with money. She worked and gave her checks to Bart and Pat so that she could stay home with a handicapped and fragile baby. Ganny and Papa both worked hard and together. They were a true team .Ganny always had time for you, on the phone or when you visited. Nothing was more important than you. She made you feel like a celebrity. Ganny knew what was important to say, do and be.
So, as I stand at this crossroad of life. I am now fifty, moving again and reinventing myself and my life, I think about the lesson teachers. Have I learned yet? Do I know what is really important? Do I watch and learn? Time will tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment