Wednesday, April 09, 2008

50 is not just a number

So I have turned 50. Nothing really happened. I look essentially the same. I still have my little tea pot shape,I do waddle like my Mom, I still love to listen to Motown and I make someone really happy and really furious every day. I may still be the same but I feel pretty darn lucky.
Thank you to all who did a Nae'nae' 50 list. Here is mine; What 50 years of living have brought me:

1-I have lived long enough to see "Jellies" come back into fashion twice.
2-I now have the time to make things for everyone I really like.
3-I have become a grandmother and realize I have waited all my life for this moment.
4- I have a grown son who is making a film.
5-I have a grown daughter who is writing a book.
6-I have a grown son who writes, produces,performs and creates really good music.
7- I realize that without my Randy most things are not worth doing.
8-I finally realize that my parents appreciate me and I don't really need to know that any more.
9-I have moved into a time when I have time, for people, pets and little people.
10-I realize that I can be happy living almost anywhere.
11-I wonder what I did with my hands before I started knitting.
12-I have less to prove as an artist and more of a desire to learn things.
13- I am losing a grip on the past and putting to bed my regrets and wishes.
14-I realize that I like a good price even more than a good product.
15- I have begun to like Country music.
16- I have an excitement about each day and see most days as stand alone days.
17- I listen more.
18- I can feel still.
19- Every day I like to learn something new, today I learned about reflexology and bought a book about it.
20- I realize that watching a chick peck out of an egg is a religious experience that bonds your heart to that bald little black thing for life.
21-I learned about scrapbooking, scrapbookers and scrapbook supplies.
22- I will never do, be or buy the previous items.
23-I learned it is never too late to say, "I am sorry" or "I forgive you."
24-That sex at this age is less often but still a great thing to do.
25-I still have the truth magnet and can never travel without someone telling me abou the bad day they had.
26- I still get excited about dumb little things like spring flowers and tree blossoms.
27- I don't care what calling I have in the church.
28- I can find my way around a big city, use mapquest and do it all by myself.
29- I can travel by myself, even far away and not feel afraid.
30- I really know who my friends are and the list is fairly short.
31- I like talking on the phone to Ulysses, Bronwyn and Bronwyn's sister, her name is Thournn, she is a baby.
32- I like talking to my darling daughter and best friend as she meets and tackles the hardest hour of the day, the hour before Daddy comes home.
33-I like the way Kurt calls me out for not understanding what is important to him and trusts that I will try to do better.
34- I have lived long enough for Erik to choose to live with us and put up with our non-stop requests for treat runs and Monster purchases and he still will consider living near us again.
35- To see my husband become real friends with our kids, an advocate for our daughter as a mother and a loving and kind Papa Pirate.
36- To realize that I can learn a lot from my brothers, even if they are younger.
37- Having a sister who is a friend and is loyal and true.
38-Realizing that thinking everything is pretty funny may have saved my life.
39-Getting a grip on learning to be the Indian not the chief every time.
40- I will always pull crazy people to me but it is okay not to let them in the house.
41- My hair will never look as good as it did the day I had it cut.
42-That despite my brainey wanderings, my heart will always tell me what is true.
43- And speaking of that, I learned, for myself, most unexpectedly that our new prophet is the real thing.
44- Perhaps not saying everything you think is a good idea.
45- That many kinds of ice cream are good but popsicles are better.
46- I have an abundance of good will for everyone.
47- I will never be able to sit and watch someone clean my house or work in my yard. I guess I will have to come live with someone when I become too crunchy to do it myself.
48- True love is real.
49- It is more fun to give than receive.
50- Lots of things ARE my fault.

2 comments:

Hbernbubb said...

I love your list. It made me cry a bit. I'd like to add to my 50 list that I love your way with words and the how good you are at making lists. I think I just love you.

Torben B said...

LOVE YOU MOM!