Monday, March 17, 2008

Which hat to wear?


I think friendship are tricky and in a family they are risky at best. The problem is which hat to wear? Should I be the loving parent full of unconditional love and concern, the aquaintance who will say what you want and be guided to think what you want them to think, the close friend who "keeps it real" as a true tribute to the friendship, the teacher who patiently gives neutral examples to provide "food for thought", the shrink who tries to C.S.I. the problem by collecting evidence and examining it, the sibling who brings "history" to the table or the "new friend" who just about thinks anything you say is absolutely amazing!"


The problem is not in what hat to wear, but the problem with switching. Friendship like parenting isn't acting it is re-acting and often you find yourself torn between many hats that represent what you really think and feel. The conversation can only get dicier as emotions add fuel to the fire.


Solutions people have for family friendship and the conversations that arise from them-

1- I don't have them.

2-I say as little as possible and duck a lot.

3-I say what I think and don't edit, let them deal with it.

4- I get in a yelling match every time I have a meal with my loved ones.

5- I say different things to different people, I essentially tell people what they want to hear and change it as often as I need to. I am good in sales.

6- I try to be a good friend and a good listener.

7- I try to be a good friend and bad listener.

8-Most of the time I edit but occasionally I don't and to be honest it is a relief to let it out.

9-I look for "my team" the people who agree with me and I talk to them about the people that are not on "our team".

10. I do all of the above and often pick the wrong one for the right reason, just ask any of my family members that are currently mad at me.

No comments: