I really like this ad. Very inspiring. I am reading his book. It is hard for me to get past the impotence of the position. Perhaps I have to believe in the process again.
For me it's not as important that I believe it, but that the message inspires other people to believe it. That's what I like about him. I think he may have the ability to bring out the best in others. I'm always going to be skeptical of politicians (especially presidential candidates), but I think that a president still has the ability to inspire people (mostly through propaganda) to be better. He's the only one I can see doing this right now.
In other words, if people buy messages of hope and it acts as a catalyst to improve our hope as a people, then I'm all for it despite the potential falsity of the message.
So I just have to put my opinion in here as I really dig both Hillary and Barack. I plan on voting for Hillary (more on that later if you like...), but I would be happy to have Barack as the dem candidate.
However, I really dislike celebrity endorsements in general and while I think this ad IS inspiring in a sense, (maybe I'm overly cynical) I just don't respond well to ads like this that seem somewhat contrived...
It's like what Kurt is saying re. policitians in general. While trying to seem down-to-earth and like "one of us," they come across to me as very disingenuous and fake. Using celebrities like this doesn't sell me. I like practical, realistic goals--as I would argue Hillary has.
The country has a lot of work to do to fix much of what has happened over the last 8 years (including re-establishing the integrity of our president), and I believe that this must be done by someone who has experience and a realistic view of the future.
I agree that hope must be restored in our country, but I do not agree that melodramatic commercials like the one released by the Obama camp will encourage change.
However, that being said, the commercial brought tears to my good friend who was teetering between the two democratic candidates and the commercial swayed her...so what the heck do I know!
This turned into a longer "comment," but I seriously am obsessed with Super Tuesday and the 2008 election. Oh man, it's gonna be a good year! So much discussion and so many great candidates make me feel inspired for the future!
Just as a side note: As far as I know, this ad was not endorsed or funded by the Obama campaign. You can read more about Will.i.am's intentions here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william/why-i-recorded-yes-w_b_84655.html
Word.
P.S. Annie, long time no talk! Good to see you on here!
You know. I just watched the video again and got chills...I would be happy to vote for Barack as the dem...but I am still sticking by my girl for now...
As a side note on the issue of whether Obama is using this video: while they may not have "contracted it" per se, they are surely recruiting with it: http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/videoyeswecan.
5 comments:
I really like this ad. Very inspiring. I am reading his book. It is hard for me to get past the impotence of the position. Perhaps I have to believe in the process again.
For me it's not as important that I believe it, but that the message inspires other people to believe it. That's what I like about him. I think he may have the ability to bring out the best in others. I'm always going to be skeptical of politicians (especially presidential candidates), but I think that a president still has the ability to inspire people (mostly through propaganda) to be better. He's the only one I can see doing this right now.
In other words, if people buy messages of hope and it acts as a catalyst to improve our hope as a people, then I'm all for it despite the potential falsity of the message.
So I just have to put my opinion in here as I really dig both Hillary and Barack. I plan on voting for Hillary (more on that later if you like...), but I would be happy to have Barack as the dem candidate.
However, I really dislike celebrity endorsements in general and while I think this ad IS inspiring in a sense, (maybe I'm overly cynical) I just don't respond well to ads like this that seem somewhat contrived...
It's like what Kurt is saying re. policitians in general. While trying to seem down-to-earth and like "one of us," they come across to me as very disingenuous and fake. Using celebrities like this doesn't sell me. I like practical, realistic goals--as I would argue Hillary has.
The country has a lot of work to do to fix much of what has happened over the last 8 years (including re-establishing the integrity of our president), and I believe that this must be done by someone who has experience and a realistic view of the future.
I agree that hope must be restored in our country, but I do not agree that melodramatic commercials like the one released by the Obama camp will encourage change.
However, that being said, the commercial brought tears to my good friend who was teetering between the two democratic candidates and the commercial swayed her...so what the heck do I know!
This turned into a longer "comment," but I seriously am obsessed with Super Tuesday and the 2008 election. Oh man, it's gonna be a good year! So much discussion and so many great candidates make me feel inspired for the future!
Just as a side note: As far as I know, this ad was not endorsed or funded by the Obama campaign. You can read more about Will.i.am's intentions here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william/why-i-recorded-yes-w_b_84655.html
Word.
P.S. Annie, long time no talk! Good to see you on here!
You know. I just watched the video again and got chills...I would be happy to vote for Barack as the dem...but I am still sticking by my girl for now...
As a side note on the issue of whether Obama is using this video: while they may not have "contracted it" per se, they are surely recruiting with it: http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/videoyeswecan.
Post a Comment