I am riveted. I am not sure about the rest of you, but I am geeking out on the ins and outs of this (substitute your favorite word here -- historic, intense, close) election season. Who ever heard of superdelegates? Who can resist the news commentators and analysts flounderng about, clinging to every dip and rise in the polls. I actually feel excited instead of weary and I think the country is feeling it too. Thank you George W., without you, we would probably still be indifferent.I was thinking about Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton a lot the other day when there was a bit of a back and forth on the blog over the choices. Before the superdelegate issue arose, I was in favor of Mr. Obama. And I still am -- here is why. Over here, there is a lot of talk about dynastic politics and how the United States, of all places, shouldn't fall victim to it. That has nothing to do with Mrs. Clinton's abilities, but I still think it is a valid point. The policies of both candidates are remarkably similar. Both candidates are smart and accomplished. Their success in achieving any of their policies will come down to working with the House and Senate and repairing relations with the United States and the rest of the world. Really, the ability to work with others will be more important than experience. Mrs. Clinton is tough, but she might not be as much of a bridge builder. To a large extent, the president is a symbol and, as a symbol, I think Mr. Obama is more powerful. He was against the Iraq War from the beginning, which is still very important to people here, and he represents a clear break from the politics of the last 20 years. (George H. W. was elected in 1988). Mr. Obama is inspiring young people and black voters and that has the potential to re-energize politics in the country. Of course, he is compromised and there is not a politician in existence that doesn't rely on their fair share of empty platitudes. But, for a politician, he does strike me as genuine and thoughtful.
Finally, the superdelegates. This will be a true test of character. With Mr. Gore playing Solomon, who will http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/us/politics/16delegates.html?ex=&en=da6cd7f67f4cb6c4&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink sacrifice themselves to save the party? Will Mrs. Clinton's ambition lead her to ignore the popular vote? It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. To be fair, it is close, and Mr. Obama has the high ground, but this may be as close as we can come to seeing their true characters.
2 comments:
Interesting post.
I agree with you on all of the points you mention, actually. Nearly my whole life has been under the presidency of two families. We need change.
The whole delegate system seems flawed to me. I think the delegate system (not to mention super delegates) and the electoral college reflect a mistrust of American citizens. Does anyone else find it strange that a candidate can win the popular vote yet lose due to delegates?
It feels good to be energized and interested in politics again. I've voiced my share of opinions over the last four years, but this is the first time I've been able to feel a sense of optimism.
John McCain is an excellent choice for the Republicans and hopefully won't cave-in to the Evangelicals that have been pulling Mr. Bush's strings for 8 years. I think Obama and Clinton have positive qualities. I like Obama's youth, energy, and optimism and I am not sure it is a bad thing that he is not "seasoned" like Hilary. Sometimes that is a good thing. Our country is in desperate need for new,fresh ideas that will improve both domestic and foreign policies.
Post a Comment