After going through many airports and customs, I have a statement to make: Mormons are not really that cult-like at all come to find out, lots of other religions have more challenging clothing items. If you are a Sikh you have that cool turban, Indian women try to stay warm in Saris, Muslim women have a lot to handle with their Hijabs, and Orthodox Jews must travel with their temple clothes by carrying them. All in all, I had to smile, because I had a secret... I was wearing my promises and covenants too. My family history, spiritual journey, and purpose for life was on my body too. I tried not to make eye contact out of respect but it made me want to hug them and talk it over.
We are all alike. As we were weaving around the Que at customs I saw an Indian lady who never stopped waving to her son as we stood waiting to go through customs. Tiny, she stood on her tip toes to keep him in sight. She was bravely smiling and waving but as a Mom I knew how she felt; it was so hard to stay good bye but she wouldn't let him know. For 30 minutes she waved and smiled, and waved and smiled and waved. She is a good mom.
2 comments:
Yes, I noticed this as well. I loved the diversity of the Heathrow Airport.
I experienced a similar thing when I was at the airport in Delhi --- a man was saying goodbye to his daughter and was working so hard not to cry, but despite his attempts, his eyes teared up as she walked through the gate. In fact, when I was in Amritsar I went to the extent of showing the side of my garment top to a Sikh. Of course, later I felt that I'd be overzealous, but my actions were obviously indicative of my overwhelming desire to connect and relate.
Post a Comment