Hello. I feel like I haven't written for a while, but there's been quite a few things happening. I ha
ve a few movies I'm working on right now. Life is Good. We are finishing up our short film for the LDS film festival tonight. Marissa, my friend Andrew, and I worked on the script for the last month or so. The film is about fifteen minutes and is simply a discussion between three friends about the culture, gospel, and interpretations of Mormonism. Last night we filmed for roughly nine hours or so. Tonight we'll film for another nine hours or so and then hit the editing room in an attempt to submit the film tomorrow. We're very pleased with our actors ---in fact, we were able to recruit two professional actors who have been in numerous films and TV spots in the area. We've had a lot of challenges getting the script, set, and other miscellaneous things ready, but it looks like we'll be able to pull it off. Now, the main question is: will anyone Like it? We feel like the film has some important things to say, but of course, there's always the possibility that you're saying those things in an ineffective way. I'll post the film on the blog at a later date.Another project that I'm EXCITED about is a film that I'm co-directing for my senior capstone project. The film will document the life and works of the polyartist and poet, Alex Caldiero. Alex has been one of my favorite teachers over the last few years, as well as an inspiration to me as an aspiring artist. The idea for the film has inspired quite a few people to work for free. In fact, as of now, we have about five cameramen, three still photographers, and three sound people. It looks like we have someone to do the soundtrack as well. We are currently applying for grants and hope to raise about 10, 000 dollars for the film. We are making the film in conjunction with Alex and hope to travel to Sicily and New York City with him. We plan on spending about a month in Sicily this summer. I'll keep you updated on this project as it progresses. Also, we have a website dedicated to the project at: http://thesonosopher.blogspot.com. The site is a work in progress, but we will ultimately be publishing our entire process on the blog. Below are some videos of Alex's performances. Also, if you saw the PBS documentary on Mormonism, he was the guy with a big beard talking about the language of the Book of Mormon.
6 comments:
Kurt -- I am so excited for you and I am anxious to see how your film turns out. I've been trying to write about the same issues, but I haven't really figured out how to do it yet. So, hopefully, you can give me some inspiration. :)
The poet is very interesting. It would be cool to see more. I am not sure how I feel about beat poetry. Sicily? Is that certain? Would you have time to see us?
It would be a good excuse to travel.
Well good luck with everything. Your projects sound really exciting.
I like this guy. I think he needs a strong editor. It is hard, not to fall in love with your work, or become the parent of your dream fighting fights that are not your own. I think he should have stopped before he experimented with sound and pace and level. Leave that adventure for another piece. Just my opinion.
I think it would be interesting to get a glimpse at his process.
I like this guy. I wonder if he has taken acting classes. They would help him. He should try playing opposites. It would be poweful. He choses an intensity level and style that does not surprise you.
By the way, the top video is just a reading of a Ginsberg poem --- it's not Alex's work.
In response to your comment on editing: I've actually never met anyone who is in love with editing as much as him. He edits and re-edits, sometimes editing for years. These two pieces are not wholly representative of his work, but they are the only one's on youtube :)
Don't get me wrong. This guy really has something. He has a command and a passion that is really interesting. I hope to hear more about how he does it, why and what and when as you explore it in your project. Is he a fun guy to talk to? Is he married? Is he a Dad? What are his hobbies, passions? Why did he decide to teach? I am really gettting curious about this guy.
Since I got the hair and the build were can I get a huge book to read from so I to can be a Beat? Dude ask your prof..
Post a Comment