Sunday, November 25, 2007

Finding your peaceful place


We just got back from England. Really fun. Good times, yes good times. Going through customs and more customs and setting off every x-ray machine I meet with my shoulder replacement, I have come to this conclusion: People can be divided into two distinct stress categories; People and Situation. What I mean is, most people can absorb a great deal of discord in one of these two settings but usually not both. Take a moment to answer a few questions to find your category.


1- Do you get angry in traffic?

2- Do you hate waiting in lines?

3- Do you begin to design a quicker more efficent was to run any business you are doing business with?

4- Do you feel down deep that whenever you get cut off in traffic, get in the slowest line, or receive bad service at any store that it is a conspiracy?

If you answered 2 or more of the questions above with a yes, you carry the Situation stress gene.


Now take this one:


1- Do you remember slights that happened more than 10 yrs ago?

2- Do you get frustrated and unhappy when people around you are not coping?

3- Do you tune in to the "vibe" of a room?

4- Do you feel upset when people are rude or unfair to strangers?

5- Do you feel that most of the time people do not understand or care for that manner how other people feel?


If you answered 2 or more of the questions above with a yes, you carry the People stress gene.


It is interesting that most couples carry opposite stress genes. This ensures that their kids don't have both of their parents losing their minds at the same time.


I used to think that attitude was a feature of self mastery. I have to abandon this idea because I think most people don't really try to be one way or the other. It is nothing they have conquered,it is a simple case of natural response.

2 comments:

Randy said...

Yes, I admit it--I have the situational stress gene. But you know what bugged me the most about airports, security and customs? It is that our world requires such policies and procedures. I hate the whole feeling of fear, suspicion and mistrust that it all represents. That is what REALLY bugs me!

Torben B said...

I agree. I always cringe when I hear security alerts, announcing the current color of alert. Orange alert. Red alert. Who knows what any of these mean?

I tend to do fine in situations, but people stress me out quite a bit. I'm very sensitive to the vibe in the room. Then again, I also have my moments with traffic.