Monday, October 15, 2007

English Journal Update

So, once again, I didn't get in :( I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for. I feel like everyone tells me they like my stuff, but whenever I've tried to get published (only three times so far. I guess I have ten or seventeen more times before I'll give up. Well, I probably won't until I really believe that I suck) I get turned down. I think I'm good. But, then again, Horace said that friends and family make bad critics :) With that said, I feel like my family and friends are all pretty honest. Anyhow, I'm trying (successfully or unsuccessfully) not to let this get me down. I did think I was a sure bet this year. However, this has instilled a desire in me to self-publish a book of poems (don't be surprised if this is one of your gifts this year). I've thought about writing a poem each day, starting today, and seeing all the thoughts, feelings, and emotions, I experienced within a month. Here is the one I wrote today:

Sometimes, I would rather punch you
Than have you read my poem
Communication can be so difficult

2 comments:

Janae said...

Kurt, don't give up or give in. Most artists aren't really appreciated in their own time. To critique a creative expression seems so wrong on so many levels and a waste of time really. To be honest, it can only be a well informed opinion. I fall as prey to it as anyone, love good reviews from shows I have done, even though I know the reviewer and tend to disagree with them on most things.. the ego, alas is a stern master. I guess this is why I like to use the arts as a tool rather than a thing of wonder unto itself. I attended a meeting of "teaching artists" and said," Art is not sacred, it is a tool for reaching kids and giving them a voice." Boy did that kick up a rukus. "Art is too sacred." (an actual quote.) So, I don't know. In the end, perhaps our writing, or creating is just a future relic we are preparing to leave behind when we are no longer here.

Hbernbubb said...

Kurt -- That sucks! Like I wrote before, all my favorite writers were rejected countless times. But no matter how philosophical you are, rejection is discouraging and doesn't feel good.
I am sorry. :(
But don't give up! Keep writing, keep getting better and keep trying. I do (as objectively as I can) think that you have something, especially with the beat poem.