Wednesday, May 16, 2007

People in Thailand have the amazing ability to carry large quantities of various items on small motorcycles and scooters. It is not uncommon to see a family of five riding on a motorcycle about this size. As I was eating lunch, I watched three guys rig those big bags full of who knows what (maybe ice?) onto that small scooter. It definitely wasn't an easy task, but after a while they were able to successfully strap the humongous bags on to the back of the small scooter and get this guy on his way. When you see pictures like this, they make you think of how much space Americans waste. We really don't utilize the space we have. When we do utilize the space in our cars, it's typical to hear someone make a remark about Mexicans, clearly making the distinction that utilizing space is so....so....un-white :) At the same time, I can't help but cringe when I see full families on little motorcycles. The traffic in Bangkok can get pretty scary and people die all of the time in car crashes. I'm pretty sure I've seen an ambulance everyday since I've been here. After I ate lunch with Marissa, Mel, Toni, and Nut, I went to a place called Sam Pheeng. Sam Pheeng is a wholesale market that is probably at least 2 miles long. On the overpass on the way to the side of the street where Sam Pheeng is, I saw this street art to the right. Something about street art warms me up inside. I shed a tear as I realize that hip-hop has spread across the world, defacing property as it goes. Things look better painted and drawn on. I went down this overpass and onto Sam Pheeng. Sam Pheeng was terribly crowded and unbelievably hot. Then again, If I wouldn't have went to Sam Pheeng today, I wouldn't have seen this lady:
There was also a midget lady carrying a yorkie, but our picture doesn't do justice to her height so I decided not to post it. It was another interesting day in Thailand. Tomorrow I go to the "Wyoming of Thailand." I'll keep you posted. Actually..... why not? Here ya go...

2 comments:

Janae said...

I think about consumption all the time, I am consumed with it LOL. Honestly, I feel humans do in general what they need to do. If asked to travel on trains or walk we do, if given the choice of huge spread out cities with highways we buy cars and we ride in huge SUVs all by ourselves. Really interesting. It sounds like you are transitioning into live in Thailand. It is interesting how, we see or experience things differently depending on what we need and want at the time. The scriptures are the same way, pick up an old favorite novel and re-read it. Our perception is guided by our current perspective, our self image,recent experiences, memories real and false. It is an evolving matter, our private worlds.

Janae said...

As to the lady with the Yorkie. Is a dog a minature if you are?