http://www.amazon.com/Devil-Dover-Insiders-Small-town-America/dp/1595582088/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234520430&sr=8-1
It was a reunion of sorts and I also got to see Cyndi Sneath, one of the parents who was a plaintiff in the trial. In addition to hearing Lebo speak, I had the unexpected pleasure of witnessing the performance art/lecture/hip-hop stylings of Baba Brinkman, a Canadian who made his name rapping Chaucer's Cantebury Tales. He rapped a whole series based on Darwin's Origin of the Species. (yeah, you read that right). It sounds kind of ridiculous and it kind of was, but it was also kind of brilliant. For one thing, Mr. Baba really knows his stuff and has a pretty sophisticated grasp of evolutionary theory. For another thing, he used Australopithecus in his rhymes. Also, learning about sexual selection in rap form is more entertaining than lecture form. Afterwards, we went out to get some food and I went with Lebo, Sneath, Brinkman, a very intense man who came to the lecture with his wife and had a very strong stutter, and a peevish English biology professor who put the lecture tour together. Here is Brinkman doing one of his first performances of his opening rap (I saw a more polished version, but this gives you a taste):Here is a link that shows some more about Brinkman, Lebo and Pallen (the English microbiologist that put the tour together)
http://roughguidetoevolution.blogspot.com/
3 comments:
This is, I believe a topic to discuss on the phone. I am so happy you got to do that. It is a club that a small group belongs to that has impacted all of your lives. Talk to you soon.
i would love to have been there. i'm in a Biological Anthropology class right now that is blowing my mind. In fact, we have a Darwin conference next week. i'm going to try and attend a lecture or two. i'll let you know how it goes. Btw, that dude is actually a pretty good rapper. His rhymes are constructed well and very clearly. Crazy.
It was pretty cool. And, I think he was pretty good to. He also has good taste, he used some Dead Prez and Biggie samples. Here is his My Space:
http://www.myspace.com/bababrinkman
Post a Comment