RANDOM THOUGHTS FROM A RANDOM THINKER
- Every one in my program at Johnson Jr. High has to decorate a name plate, Pin it to the wall, and they may if they like check in with an emotioncon beside it as the spirit moves them. My name plate says, "Defy Sterotypes" I believe this is the core of my belief system. I find this idea to be central to my sense of the world.Like this. I am the voice surgeon again at the latest musical being produced at Randy's theater. I was sitting next to the openly gay A.D. and he said," How do the Mormons like your tattoo? I said," I don't really care, and I have three." He then said, " I grew up in SLC." "Are you a convert?" "I said, nope, dunked at 8, have had a temple recommend since 18, in fact, I have one now." "Hmmm" said my gay friend. "I really miss the church but for obvious reasons..." I said, "I wish that were different, but in time it may be." "I believe no one has a right to ANY opinion about that topic unless their own son, brother or nephew is gay." My new friend smiled. I added," As to the tattoos, I don't think God gives a hoot, but he does want us to be nicer,I am almost sure about that."
- I went to defensive driving class to get a speeding ticket I got in the first week I lived in Wyoming forgiven. When the teacher asked who has ever rolled their car, 3/4 of our class raised their hand. For some reason this cracked me up.
- Tito, the little case worker I call the Pinata' and I took our kids who have not been taken to the detention home, gotten an F or missed a bunch of school to "Scream Acres" Haunted Corn Maize. Yes, Maize. I marveled at the ingenuity of this business. They basically mow these corn rows into mazes and reiforce them with chicken wire. They hire people to run after you and scare you in there. You then can go buy some hot chocolate,play in this big bin of corn (like a sand box sort of) or go ride these really big trikes on a race track. It was really a fun Halloweeny thing to do. The kids boasted that it was going to be "ghetto" but we caught several of them (with our cool new video camera) scared and whining.
- I mentioned that I am trying to rid the world of bad singing, one show at a time. One lady, a school orchestra teacher about my age, came and auditioned. She was good and perky and we cast her. She seemed to be a little official in the I am a musician way but I liked her. I was sitting next to her working on something when she took my hand and started to cry. She said, "Thank you for this." I was a little startled, this woman was our best sight reader and a really strong singer. She explained, " I am 6 weeks out of chemo, this is a wig." " I was so scared, scared I couldn't do this any more." I smiled at her and of course squeezed her hand and hugged her. "You are going to be great, I know you are." " I will work very hard ." she said. "No worries", I said. Didn't see that coming. Noticed the pink breast cancer awareness pin on her sweater.
So loyal readers. It is obvious. None of us have X-ray vision. People are surprising. Delightful isn't it?
1 comment:
Mom, thanks for sharing your stories. I got a little teary with the last one! I miss you.
Post a Comment