Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"What We Have Here is a Failure to Communicate"

2 comments:

Torben B said...

You know, grown-ups are not always right. You probably shouldn't slap them. But, then again, grown-ups probably shouldn't slap you.

Janae said...

Ah hah, You Kurt have not been a parent yet. No we are not right but we are doing the lions share of working, worrying and care-taking. The reason I don't think hitting works ( yes I know I found out this too late, after I had hit many times and broken my favorite wooden paddle on Kurt) is because it is not a natural consequence and more important it makes the wrong doer mad at the hitter in stead of thinking about why they shouldn't have put the cat in the dryer. Time out seems lame but I have seen Bronwyn and Ulysses act like you are going to remove their teeth with pliers when put in time out.

One other thought. This kind of talking is a good idea but sit further away. Neither person has any right to put their hands on the other person. It is okay to feel mad and frustrated and to feel not heard. Both parties felt the same way, they just couldn't see that the person across from them was in the same boat.