
Hello everybody. I thought I'd write a brief summary of yesterday's events. Our screening began at about 2:30. We were in a special screening series of
"films on faith." We were the last film to screen. We were all a little concerned about the reception of the film, considering the content of the dialog. Of course, we didn't write the film to be sensationalist whatsoever, but we still worried that this area might not take well to the messages (and the overarching message) in our film.
WE WERE WRONG. The film received an overwhelming response. An audience member, during the Q & A, mentioned that near the end of the film you could "hear a pin drop." The Q & A was lively, people with all different opinions and backgrounds raising their hands to ask us questions about the movie and our intentions. After roughly fifteen questions or so, they needed to stop the Q & A session, but many people in the audience still had their hands raised. After the Q & A, all three of us (
Marissa,
Andrew, and
me) were surrounded by people asking us about our film. It was a great day. Now we need to think of a way to get this film screened in more locations. The best compliment that I received yesterday (roughly quoted): "you guys gave a voice to many of the things I think about often." We are looking for a way to post the short online. The file is too
big to upload onto YouTube or sites like that. I have server space (a friend hooked me up) but don't know how to host a video on a blog.
1 comment:
Here is my second attempt!
It is an amazing and vunerable feeling to create art,especially performance art. The first risk is sharing intimate feelings and perspectives with strangers, the second risk is committing to those ideas and the third hardest risk, to leap and allow your work to take on a life of it's own. Now it becomes a conversation that you only listen to, your chance to speak has passed. Randy and I have experienced this feeling over and over with our live stage productions that we directed. As an actor you have the ability to grow, react and evolve during the run. I could never understand why Dad could never sit down during an opening (choosing to pace in the back of the theater) until I started directing! When you direct, you have to allow your production to be born, and you have to keep out of it. Some people like to give notes during a run. I feel this is counter-productive. Once a play or film is launched, it is what it is. As a writer or director you must allow the voice of the production to come to life. I used to joke that every play needed a portion in the program that stated," Please do not judge this show too harshly, we have come so far and improved so much." "A week ago nobody had their lines yet, our set was partially built and many cast members kept missing rehearsal for work and getting sick" "None of these performers are professionals and many of them have a hard time doing things like walking and talking at the same time." Because we have improved so much, please dear audience member, consider our production a success."
We couldn't be more excited if it had happened to us. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are embarking on a thrilling carreer path, obviously you have found something that you have a passion and talent for and to do it together, perfection.
Post a Comment