Thursday, November 08, 2007

Waste not want not


In the spirit of our planet needing everyone to go green, I share these thoughts. Today I had to go teach and I needed glue sticks for one of my projects. I was all set to go buy some when I thought to myself, hmmm... I think I may already have some. Now, of course, as most art teachers do, I have a lot of supplies, but my first inclination was to buy more. I looked in my box labeled glue, staples and scissors, and low and behold I found 45 gluesticks. So.. I guess I didn't need to buy any more.


I drove past a shop today called "New to You" Come in for your fall wardrobe. This is good, I thought, but alas a consignment shop always struggles. What we need, is reassignment shops. A place where we can all bring all of the stuff we are not using so that it can be reassigned. A shift of resources. I like this. I see so many kids that forget their back pack, coat and school papers. Do we have too much stuff?? I think we may.


I got a flyer and a plastic bag on my front door. It was a project a person was doing to send shoes to 3rd world countries. I looked through my closet for shoes that were sturdy, in good shape, comfortable (no need to send ankle strap sandles ) and of lasting quality . I found 30 pairs. Things that make you go HMMMM.... So I believe we all should do some room shopping. Pass along the things we aren't using to someone who will. It is personal green.

1 comment:

Torben B said...

It's crazy how much crap you have after a while. Marissa and I have brought at least THREE or more BIG garbage bags full of clothes to D.I. since we've been married. We've also got rid of a good amount of shoes and other stuff. We still have more crap at our house. It never ends.