Friday, November 02, 2007

Points for trying something new

I have been thinking about how my friend Ulysses gets points on his chart for trying new things. This is good. It would be a different world if we all had that viewpoint about new places, new people, and experiences that are a bit daunting because they are unfamiliar. Take today, I decided to take the back roads to my after school teaching gig. So I ventured out with few other cars but a cement mixer, on roller coaster hills and valleys. This is what I saw: a turkey made out of a bale of hay. That was a really big turkey. I say long horn cattle and I have decided they are way cooler than regular cows. I do however think that despite their reputation for being dolts, I think regular cows have kind faces . I saw a farmer eating a sack lunch in his huge John deer tractor and a place called "Hide Ranch" that had nothing but rows of gutted cars, car parts and weeds. I really couldn't tell you what was going on at any of these places, but things were. I was definitely a tourist, but the trip through the quiet, solid, content part of the world refreshed my soul. I hope I get points on my chart.

1 comment:

Torben B said...

I like your story. I love moments like you described. There's something so valuable about traveling through life with an appreciation and willingness to put yourself in new situations and experience ambiguous emotions. You guys should read John Keats' writings about "negative capability," which is based, in principle, on deriving inspiration from these ambiguous emotions. There is so much out there to be experienced. Life is good.

Marissa and I used to take Sunday drives through the canyon, and especially, through Weber and that area (do you sense irony?). We used to explore and try to find random cool looking roads to go down. It's so nice to experience things like that with people you love. It's great to see the effort Heidi and Jared put into providing those experiences for their children. It's so much easier to opt for laziness. I feel bad for people that believe the illusions of life. Life is empty without seeking for those fragmented, but powerful moments of liberation.