Ride into Kolkata late. Around 2 am. People are sprawled out everywhere! We pass by quite a few men herding goats. The streets are quiet, but not void of people. Even children are out playing with friends. The city looks large, but I would never have guessed it is home to over eleven million people. We pulled up to our hotel, an old "boy's club" from the era of the British raj. Big room, hard bed.
Wake up to an entirely new city. People are everywhere! Taxis swerve through large flocks of people, cars, rickshaws, and goats.
Jain Temple - Inside was a flame that has been burning for over 190 years. Temple feels ancient. Italian marble floors seem misplaced. I begin to align preconceived notions of Jainism with reality. While we were in the temple, Melanie made a big group of friends. We take a picture with them, and exchange phone numbers.
Move to new hotel. Hotel Diplomat:
- Not very clean
- Good TV stations :)
- Marissa and I sleep on one halve
- Big hole from outside into bathroom
- Nice to have our own room
Sunday Services:
Branch President: Brother Tappas
- Seven in congregation, including the five of us
- The other two are two guys from BYU, here on a grant
- Sacrament meeting highly spiritual
- Topics: love, trials & afflictions, and the history of the church in kolkata
- One of the best church meeting's I've even been to --- the spirit is EXTREMELY strong
Some thoughts I had during the meeting:
- We can't follow the greatest commandment without following the second
- In John where he says that love casteth out all fear, perhaps love here is symbolic of Christ. Christ's atonement conquers fear. It gives us all the knowledge of redemption.
- Gospel = good news = atonement = love = two great commandments
- I don't think my father-in-law understands me spiritually. I think he views my ideas as belief needing a cure, instead of legitimate.
- So, to be in accordance with God's will, we need to love others, thereby loving God for his love
- It seems that God wants us to use our agency and life to love others. A lot of commandments detract from these more important, overarching commandments. They become pet topics, instead of the topics that truly bring about our salvation. In other words, suggestions defeat commandments. I need to love other people more.
Lunch after church: Chicken. I don't eat innards.
Kahli Temple - Area surrounding temple way cooler than actual temple.
Mother Teresa's Mission - I'm glad we came. Wonderful woman. They called her "saint of the gutters." She gave of all her substance to bless the poor and afflicted.
Big Park - Once again, tons of people! We took a horse carriage ride and watched a monkey dance.
India, and much of Asia for that matter, produces completely new ethical dilemmas for the westerner. You see things that are highly tragic. Of course, many of these things are especially setup for the tourist. Young and old women with infants ask you for money --- and not much either. However, most travel guides suggest that you do not help them. It becomes a way of living for so many people, preying on tourists and never working. Nonetheless, images are shocking. They are especially shocking when you don't know if you are turning down a sincere person in need of help. Every time someone asks you something, you quickly respond 'No!,' before you realize they just want to know where you are from. You get edgy about manipulation. It's difficult to break from the paradigm that everyone wants something from you. However, at the same time, the little money they are asking for would hardly hurt your pockets. Women follow you for miles, sometimes a shorter distance, their baby (who you're not sure is really their baby or rented) cries incessantly. If you give them money, you may hurt them, irresponsibly trying to be kind. If you don't, you feel heavy hearted. We donated at Mother Teresa's. It made me feel a little better.
Last day in Kolkata:
Walked around market for a while. Once again, lots of people and lots of people asking for money.
I realized these same beggars exist in Thailand. I don't really "see" them anymore.
Food is good to give. It still fuels the problem, but at least you know it goes to that person, and not some evil mafia guy behind them.
Life is really tough for so many people. The quiet are among those who have it the hardest. What am I doing to contribute to the problem? Tons. What can I do to help? Not sure yet. "Help" is among the most complex and unsure of language.
A man with one arm told me 'you have no good heart!' I knew it wasn't true. I knew he was just trying to make me feel bad for not giving him money, but it still hurt my feelings. Why do people manipulate empathy (sympathy)? They must be in a bad place. The caste system, combined with reincarnation theology, does little to help them.
Dream = tempted by cheating. I don't cheat and I feel wonderful.
Message = Appreciate Marissa
Nana would've loved to hear of my travels. I wish I would've told her more about my mission --- more about Nepal.
Train ride = nice
Kolkata ----> Gaya and Bodhigaya
3 comments:
Wow. That is a lot to process even as a spectator to your experience. I love the picture of Marissa and the monkey. Fun memories flooded me from Thailand. How blessed we all are. How grateful are we. How much do we give of our essence? Daily a struggle. Want to do more, make what you do count, appreciate more. That is important too. Staarts as a kid trying to stop entitlement from forming. Hard to do with so much. Lots to think of.
I really like the performing monkey. I am sure he is alot like the organ grinder monkey over here but I like his style. Good dancer.
Too much to comment on everything, but I can say that your trip looked fascinating and exciting. The monkep was a good dancer and it was nice to hear Marissa responding in the background.
In the states, I always give to panhandlers preferring to give people the benefit of the doubt and err on the side of naivety. But what to do when it is epidemic. Sometimes I feel like I can't look that kind of suffering in the face, genocide in Africa, AIDS in Africa, poverty -- it is so heartbreaking. And I hold my kids a little closer and wonder how we got so lucky.
An important question -- what are we doing to help. I'm not sure either.
Post a Comment