
So.... apparently I'm not at a healthy weight. I guess I have put on weight since my wedding. Right now I'm at about 200 lbs. It's not like I'm going to kill over anytime soon, but I get called fat pretty much everyday. Of course, compared to the Thai people I'm a Jaba. My father-in-law ha

s challenged me to lose 15 lbs. If I lose 15 lbs. within the next month or so, he'll take me downtown and get three pairs of pants and five shirts custom cut for me. It sounds like a good opportunity to get back in shape. Peter swears by
fit for life. Anybody know of any other good diets? I've never been on a diet before. Come to think of it, I've never even really thought about my weight at all until the last year or so. When I do think of it I rarely sulk or feel bad about myself, I would just like to look better so I don't get attacked by a swarm of oompaloompa's and rolled off to who knows where. I wish I was still at the time when I could eat anything and stay skinny. The thing that is pretty frustrating is that I do eat pretty healthy. The bulk of our meals consist of vegetables and other healthy stuff. If I was left to my own devices I would eat crappily everyday. Luckily, Marissa feeds me t

he majority of the time and keeps me eating vegetables, mushrooms, etc. Nonetheless, I've gotten a little chubby. People in Thailand are great about weight. Pretty often I hear things such as: "You are fat. No... I mean
really fat. How did you get so fat? What did you do to yourself?" I usually respond by simply affirming what they've already said. I say stuff like: "Yeah... I am pretty fat. I've been trying to exercise but my wife feeds me so well," and so on. It's a matter of intimacy in Thailand. If someone feels comfortable enough to call you fat numerous times to your face, you know you're
in. In event that I do get extremely overweight, I hope I'm jolly. I've always admired and enjoyed jolly people. You know... the round suspenders types (it would be a perfect circle back to the love of my childhood).
6 comments:
My advice is -- don't go on a diet and don't cut out anything. Fit for Life is strict and made me feel a bit crazy. I lost quite a bit of weight before I got pregnant and am losing weight pretty quickly this time. For minor weight loss, I would recommend focusing on food quality rather than quantity, it is a trick that will make you feel satisfied without feeling deprived. Watch your portion sizes, drink your water and eat your fruits and veg. Nutritionists say that if you cut out about 150 to 200 calories a day (A can or two of soda)you will see a difference over time and you won't feel it. If you do eat something fatty, like a dessert, share with Marissa or just eat a bit. And walk every day. The only thing that works for me is doing moderate things that you can stick with. Jared wants you to know that his substantial girth stands behind you. Don't let people make you feel bad and be sensible.
Okay, dude, I think you're losing it. I have seen you very recently and I'd like to go on record and say YOU ARE NOT FAT! As a matter of fact, I think you look trim and tan and dang cute! Don't let other people that are obsessed with weight mess with your head. And DON'T start on a "Diet." If you do, you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of your weight yo-yoing up and down and your metabolism crashing and burning. Now, if you want to get more fit, that is a different matter. Think of lifestyle choices and lifestyle eating that you and Marissa can sustain over the long haul. Eat healthy, whole foods and keep your kitchen stocked with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables to snack on. The number one thing you can do to gear your lifestyle towards fitness is to build in ways to keep your body moving. Like you have been with riding your bike to school. Take walks together, bike together, etc. I really believe that your health is very personal and it is none of other people's business, rather, I think it is insulting when people try to impose their standard on you. (Take it from me, I know about the in-law bribe, and I get that it is motivating, but in the long run, I think it turns your relationship to crap...unfortunately, ours is already doomed from years of this kind of thing.) I also get the Thailand thing about "your fat..." but, really, don't let it get to you. Just because you don't fit the mold of what Thai people look like, why should you care? Are you going to go dye your hair black and go to the tanner, as well? Lighten up on yourself, and mark my words, you'll look back at yourself where you are right now and say, "Oh, man, those were the days, look how freaking studly I looked!"
I must say I have strong feeling about this. This is why.. when I taught Kindergarten a study came out about body image, prejudice and children. I found it when a tiny thin little 5 yr old started crying because she thought the leggings she was wearing made her butt look fat. This alarmed me. Having had an eating disorder I knew that pressure from loving parents, in-laws and directors only made the problem much worse. The study gave children pictures of people and they had to choose the people that they would like as a friend or a teacher. The 3,4,5 yr. olds all picked fat people as the least desirable, they even picked disfigured people over fat people. This kind of prejudice is taught as surely as a fear of differently shaped eyes or darker skin. The thing I taught my kids was the glorious wonder of variety. We went out and looked at trees, fat trees, skinny trees, short trees, and old gnarly trees. I asked, which is the best tree? They are all best trees. Each tree is good in it's own way. That is my opinion.
Health is based on: blood pressure, cholesterol, heart beat, and fitness.
Most Meth heads are very trim, skinny even.
Smoking makes you skinnier. I knew a long distance runner was a Vegan, he dropped dead of a heart attack at 34.
BRIBES
I feel that teaching a principle and simply inforcing are different. I am highly skilled and proficent in the arts, from Music to Theater to Visual arts I can do them professinally. What it I said, "Person, I think you should become good at the arts because I am." "In fact, I will pay you if you learn an art form and do it as well as I do." Now this seems ridiculous. My inclination is to say, "I love music." " Playing an insturment makes me feel connected to something beautiful and overwhelming." "It makes me happy." "Would you like to hear me play?"
That is my feelings on this.
One more thought. To take someone's money is to agree to take their advice. :)
I think this all really good and sound advice. Thanks guys! I don't think I'm going to do Fit for Life. I've always had healthy ways of viewing food. I think that is a good thing. I'm going to try to exercise more and make sure that I'm feeling and eating healthy food :)
well hello there. I have to say i have had a lot of experience here as well...in terms of constantly checking myself. It was my junior year in college where I realized 1) my metabolism changes yearly (for the worse); 2) I need to start ASAP if I want to establish healthy habits for the rest of my life; and 3) I feel like CRAP if I am not working out and eating whatever I want.
I'm the type of person who really responds well to a program that holds me accountable. Not atkins (although that worked really well to drop 5-10 lbs really quickly), or scarsdale or fit for life, etc etc etc. But one where I learn in the process and can SEE my progress(or lack of!) as I go. This reminded me of a project we had to do in middle school where we write down what we eat and analyze the nutritional value. Didn't get a THING out of it then, but I found a great website that does the same thing, but it is AWESOME. I got Matt hooked on it, but it involves serious commitment to the internet (which you have, kurty!) and keeping track (meticulously) of what you're eating. The website is www.myfooddiary.com and it really changed my life. I lost 20 lbs and I LEARNED. They graph your progress, tell you what to eat more of, track your fats/veggies/etc, offset any exercise you do, etc. It's $9/month and while I don't do it currently, it really helped me figure out what kinds of foods I should be eating and what I have to do when I want to eat something "unhealthy" (i.e. workout more that day). It really inspired me and my mom also does it and it's working really well for her. Also, I got all my girlfriends hooked on it becuase it's a HEALTHY, RESPONSIBLE way to lose weight as well as being an educational source. I'm really quite obsessed with it obviously!
But Janae--I totally agree. When my little half-sister (mom's side) asked me if she "looked fat" at age 8 I wanted to shut down every fashion magazine and censor britney spears. While I hate that girls are worrying about this at younger ages now, I also know that I personally FEEL much better when I'm at a healthy weight. That is what really motivated my dad and finally made him commit to losing 50+ lbs--he was feeling so lazy and wanted to LIVE longer! (I was on him all the time for the latter reason)
Anyway, Kurty, I have been there and fooddiary was really successful for me. You might want to just check it out and see what it's about!! It's all about feeling good about yourself--I'm sure you still look as darling as ever!
Post a Comment