Tuesday, January 30, 2007



Hello all! Some news from me:

I was just inducted into the National Dean's List

I'm beginning a research assistant job and have the opportunity to co-write ethical case studies for a book

I'm going to try to present in an upcoming anthropology conference on hip-hop and globalization or hip-hop and the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

I've been dealing with a million importing problems. Oh well...

But more importantly, I've been watching a lot of movies and have been reading some pretty cool books. I've been watching a lot of movies (documentaries) on surfing. Ryan Daley, a friend from Michigan, loaned them to me in an attempt to convert me. I must say I have a new found appreciation for surfing. Although I don't know if I'll ever do it myself. I feel thankful that I have an openness to new things. I don't remember ever being "bored." I recently read "The Tao of Pooh", and really enjoyed it. I've been obsessed with Taoism recently. Some films I've seen recently worth watching (some are new, some are old):

Thank you for smoking

Amores Perros

Brick (barely made the list, but interesting nonetheless)

Riding Giants (surfing documentary)

The Endless Summer (a quirky surfer documentary filmed in the 60's I believe)

Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown (spanish film by Almodovar)

Out of Sight (who knows how many times I've seen this)

Stranger Than Fiction (fun movie)

Pan's Labyrinth (see it!)

Sideways (not the best movie I've ever seen, but it inspired me to improve my taste buds)

Music I've been listening to:

Amy Winehouse (Back to Black)

The Shins

Nas (Hip-hop is dead)

K-os (Atlantis)

Books:

The Tao of Pooh

Currently reading The Tao of Statistics (I'm all for new approaches to traditional learning)

The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea (Mishima)

2 comments:

Casey Kochmer said...

Hi I saw you were reading and exploring Taoism.

If you are interested, I am always looking for feedback for a newer book on Taoism called A Personal Tao.

:) congrats on the deans list, and I must go see Pan's Labyrinth too many people have been liking it.

Peace

Randy said...

Congratulations Kurt!! Terrific News! Mom & I have a movie to add to your list--"The Illusionist" with Edward Norton.