Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hello Everyone! Not much is new with me. I do have the opportunity to travel to Michigan this thursday. I am very excited. I look forward to seeing Nana and hopefully I may be of some assistance while I´m there. I'm working hard at school and in the meantime, trying to discover what I may enjoy doing for a profession. Honestly, I would like to just write and experience. Do any of you know anyone that will pay me for that? :) I am currently taking spanish and enjoying every minute of it. It's fun learning my first latin based language (besides english). I'm trying to learn as many languages as I can while I'm in school so I can live in quite a few places and speak the local language. So far I have taken Thai (19 credits at BYU), Chinese (definitely need to improve), and now Spanish. Hopefully Spanish will lead to some French and Italian also. I'm currently studying Integrated Studies (a major which allows you to take 2 emphases and write a thesis paper on the overlapping of the two disciplines). I am giving Philosophy and Humanities a try. I'm planning on Grad school but am still pretty clueless as to what kind of field I want to go into. Honestly, I feel like a guy standing at a fork in the road that branches off to fifty seperate paths. I recently was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa, a honor society for students at two year colleges. Now if I can only formulate some kind of plan from the knowledge I've gained I'll be getting somewhere :) My wife Marissa is a film student at BYU. She seems to be enjoying the film program and we watch roughly 5-10 movies EVERY week. I must admit, it's not her that brings the movies home. I'm a movie addict. Then again, I guess I always have been. I should've never seen the Godfather's :) Well... I hope to hear from you all soon. I miss you all very much and would really like to get to know each of you better. I've been thinking quite a bit about family and friends lately. I haven't lived close to my family or any of my close friends (including Erik) for almost five years now. It's interesting how we live so much of our life's neglecting those who could potentially be our best friends. I don't believe that we were born into our particular families out of mere consequence. I think we are surrounded by people in our families that, given the opportunity, will teach us, mentour us, and ultimately make better people of us. I would love to become reacquainted with each of you, as an adult, and build a relationship that surpasses the superficial 'family by happenstance' syndrome that we are all prone to accepting.

2 comments:

Professional Storyteller Rachel Hedman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Professional Storyteller Rachel Hedman said...

Do you still compete in Story Slams?





I would love your comments of your experiences since I did a blog entry "Story & Poetry Slams: 5-Step Evolution of Art".